Supporting Our Troops
How we can help veterans transition
to the civilian workforce
A Free ASTD Las Vegas Chapter Meeting
By 2016, an estimated two million veterans will transition to civilian life.
Finding employment on the home front can be challenging for these men and women who have given so much of themselves to our country. By June 2011, veteran unemployment rose to over 13.3% - four percentage points higher than the national average. (Source: Families and Works Institute, http://www.familiesandwork.org/site/events/veterans.html#statistics
As workplace learning and performance professionals, we have the unique opportunity to help our veterans find meaningful employment as well as guide them towards success in their new careers. ASTD Las Vegas invites you to join us for this special event where a panel of experts will provide an overview on the following topics:
- What are the challenges these veterans are facing when returning to the civilian workforce?
- How will organizations benefit from hiring veterans? Why should companies actively recruit those leaving military life?
- What are the differences between how veterans were trained in the military and how they are trained in civilian organizations?
- What can we do as training/human resources professionals to help them? What can we do now, short-term, long-term, etc.?
- Provide an overview of Boots to Business, a successful program created by the American Red Cross and MGM Resorts International to recruit and train U.S. Veterans find leadership roles within MGM properties.
- Explore resources for employers to use when hiring and training veterans
8:30am-10:00am (Networking to start at 8:00am)
MGM University, 4886 Frank Sinatra Drive,
2nd Floor, Las Vegas, NV 89158
Meeting is free.
About our panel:
Rich Hazeltine, Panel Facilitator
Senior Change Management Specialist at Zappos.com
Faculty Member at University of Phoenix
Professional Development Officer at Civil Air Patrol
Kenton J. Falerios, CEM
Retired Army 1st Sergeant, 82nd Airborne Division
Emergency Management Coordinator, Emergency Planning & Preparedness, National Security Technologies
Boots to Business Graduate, 2012
Front Desk Supervisor, Luxor/Excalibur Hotel
Former Lead Intelligence Analyst/Operations Manager and Linguist, US Navy
Service Delivery Manager, American Red Cross
D. Anthony Nichter, CPP, CHE, ARM
Forensic Analyst and Police Academy Instructor
Nationally Certified Hospitality Educator